The Agile Manager
The Agile Manager is nimble – able to change and adjust quickly to rapidly changing demands or conditions. Business agility can be achieved by maintaining and adapting goods and services to meet customer demands, adjusting to changes in the environment and taking advantage of human resources. Agility is a concept that incorporates the ideas of flexibility, balance, adaptability, and coordination under one umbrella. In business, agility refers to one’s ability to rapidly adapt to market and environmental changes in productive and cost-effective ways.
- Tolerance of Ambiguity
Ingredients should be added, blended well and left to mature over time:
- Tolerance of ambiguity is the ability to deal with issues that are not clear-cut or which require interpretation, and perform well in a new, complex, fragmented, unstructured, or unclear learning environment.
- Courage is needed to stand up for what you believe to be true and to pursue a course of action, even when others are critical or attacking; mentally strong as a leader or role model in the face of new and different conditions.
- Flexibility is the ability to adapt to change, understanding that change is inevitable and welcoming opportunities that change presents by “jumping-into” new situations with an open-mind and a positive attitude.
- Learning-centered is the commitment to learn from errors and mistakes and to engage enthusiastically in “life-long” learning activities; takes on new knowledge, seeks feedback and learns new behaviors.
- Innovative is thinking in creative, innovative ways when faced with obstacles or challenges and leading and supporting others’ development and experimentation.
- Persuasive is being able to influence others through communication to change their thinking or actions by presenting a compelling vision of what might be possible.
“Readiness Recipes” is a new article series exploring 26 different kinds of managers A-Z and the key ingredients that each needs for success. Stay tuned for more recipes and thanks for reading!