Coaching and Mentoring
Coaching Employees for Personal Growth and Development
Even though some people think they leave learning behind when they finish school or college, in reality, our work life is also a “school” or learning environment which is full of challenging and interesting turns of events that will, if we allow it of course, continue to shape us and extend our abilities, often beyond our expectations.
Having this zest for life-long learning at a personal level in itself encourages others to see learning and development in a positive light. The ultimate objective is to create as much individual momentum as possible to want to keep learning. The more that people can be encouraged to look to the horizon and look for personal development proactively, the less threatening any change is likely to become and the more that the person makes themselves ready for the next career step-up or growth phase.
To encourage this learning-centered attitude in others, a manager can consider the following steps:
- Who people are, is NEVER who they could be. Encourage people to explore their potential more in informal and formal ways and record their thoughts and ideas for future actions.
- Openly express the opinion in your general conversations that learning is key, learning is fun, learning is a gift; learning can come through the littlest of things, in order to encourage others.
- Circulate articles and that help others to see new connections new possibilities and better learning opportunities (and encourage individuals to nominate projects that will enhance their skills).
- Aim to instill a sense of adventure concerning every group process, establishing that each meeting is a learning forum in which ideas should be generated and built upon.
- Encourage people to read, research and talk about change issues, challenges and situations and to share what they find with others at formal and informal meetings (including sharing which of the information sources they found to be the most useful).
The featured video clip is a short excerpt from the ReadyToManage, Rapid Skill Builder eLearning program, Coaching Skills: An RSB eLearning Course.