The Influencing Manager
The Influencing Manager thinks carefully about what has to be achieved in the short, medium and long term and then determines which influencing strategy is best deployed in the circumstances. This might involving tactically planning how to present data, negotiating with an individual or a group on what should be done, dealing with conflict in calm but creative ways or solving problems by talking about future possibilities and options. In all cases, the influential manager uses careful listening to appreciate how to best communicate and then uses well-chosen words to be as persuasive as he or she needs to be.
- Presentation skills
- Negotiating ability
- Handling conflict
- Capacity to listen
- Problem-solving ability
Ingredients should be added, blended well and left to mature over time:
- Presentation skills involves skill and presence presenting to groups and requires high levels of data preparation and organization in order to determine how information is best communicated with an audience according to their needs.
- Negotiating ability involves working collaboratively with others to find effective solutions to requests, questions and feedback that best meet the needs of all parties.
- Handling conflict involves dealing with an individual’s anger or irritation and any resultant conflict that may arise in an effective way. It is therefore about how effectively you adopt a positive, constructive and solution-focused approach in conflict situations of all kinds.
- Capacity to listen is the ability to both hear and understand other people, and to quickly discover their full communication or message so that a full understanding can be arrived at.
- Problem-solving ability is about your skills in finding appropriate methods and means to analyze an individual’s concerns or situation (a useful contextual framework) and in suggesting potential avenues that may provide a solution.
- Persuasiveness involves using well-chosen language to engage another person and then provide compelling reasons why a future course of action is preferable over all the other available options.
“Readiness Recipes” is a new article series exploring 26 different kinds of managers A-Z and the key ingredients that each needs for success. Stay tuned for more recipes and thanks for reading!