The Harmonizing Manager
The Harmonizing Manager continually coordinates and aligns the interests and ambitions of people on the team, even when conflict or disagreement arises. The harmonizing manager builds one-to-one relationships with individuals that are sincere, warm and open. This allows the manager to carefully and considerately listen to all points of view and gain insight into future possibilities, alternatives and new opportunities and then make decisions that are in the best interests of the whole team.
- Trust and Openness
- Capacity to listen
- Warmth and Empathy
Ingredients should be added, blended well and left to mature over time:
- Trust and openness requires having the faith in individuals that they will try their best and meet their promises and about being open and honest in communicating with people as the empowerment process unfolds.
- Capacity to listen is the ability to both hear and understand other people, and to quickly discover their full communication or message so that a full understanding can be arrived at.
- Thoughtfulness/Consideration involves showing genuine and appropriate consideration for the needs of people when faced with a variety of situations in which they may find themselves.
- Warmth toward people involves creating a positive and supportive climate when communicating with people and demonstrating an understanding of others’ viewpoints and feelings. Empathy is the ability to recognize and, to some extent, share feelings that are being experienced by another person and to feel compassion towards their circumstances.
- Relationship-centered is about appreciating that every individual on the team is unique and has different strengths and motivations. The relationship with each person is therefore built with these unique considerations in mind so as to bring out the best from the person.
- Insightfulness involves regularly exhibiting a clear and deep perception about the most important issues that can affect the team. These might be insights about people and resources (and how they may be deployed in different ways) but may also include creative thoughts and ideas about different approaches to achieve a goal.
“Readiness Recipes” is a new article series exploring 26 different kinds of managers A-Z and the key ingredients that each needs for success. Stay tuned for more recipes and thanks for reading!