The Judicious Manager
The Judicious Manager acts as wise counsel to the team (and in some cases to other colleagues in the organization). In order to do this well he or she needs to both passively and actively collect information in a neutral, dispassionate manner in order to make decisions in the most fair and honest way possible. This is best achieved by attentive listening to all inputs so as to weigh the information carefully and in the most balanced and even-handed way possible. Considerable discretion and care for confidentiality is needed in terms of what can and should be shared or not shared between individuals, or with the team as a whole or even publicly.
- Attentive listening
- Fact focus
Ingredients should be added, blended well and left to mature over time:
- Open-mindedness requires the ability to absorb information in an unemotional way with as little personal bias or prejudice (about the information giver or the information itself) as possible.
- Fair/Even-handed involves being balanced or even-handed with every individual when evaluating input or information that is being shared.
- Honesty is the ability to be truthful and sincere with all individuals as well as being as constructively frank as possible.
- Attentive listening is the ability to both hear and appreciate what other people are saying, and to quickly discover their full communication or message so that a full understanding can be arrived at.
- Fact-focus is about being concerned to establish solid evidence when making important decisions. It also involves challenging beliefs and assumptions in order to discover real root causes, rather than guesses and hypotheses that may not be substantiated by evidence.
- Discretion involves providing a role model for others in the way you say things or act. It is therefore very much about exhibiting personal prudence or decorum in all of your decisions and actions.
“Readiness Recipes” is a new article series exploring 26 different kinds of managers A-Z and the key ingredients that each needs for success. Stay tuned for more recipes and thanks for reading!