The Organized Manager
On the face of it, being organized should be a straight-forward task for most leaders. He or she simply has to regularly plan ahead, prioritize what needs to be done, and then execute the plan accordingly, re-organizing when external circumstances change or accomplishing various tasks take longer than planned. Unfortunately, many managers get quickly overwhelmed and work is then undertaken in more of a haphazard fashion if great care is not taken. An organized manager therefore needs to take full and early accountability for planning and organizing work, recognizing that to then stay organized requires careful delegation to others needs to occur, especially as the levels of pressure change on a day-to-day basis. In essence, this means having a mature view of how time available can best be managed, for both the leader him or herself and the team as a whole.
- Attention to detail
- Capacity to take accountability
- Delegation skills
- Management skills
- Pressure management skills
- Time management ability
Ingredients should be added, blended well and left to mature over time:
- Attention to detail: This refers to a manager’s ability to manage his or her own work and the work of others to ensure that it is fit for purpose and free from error.
- Capacity to take accountability: This refers to a manager’s ability to take personal responsibility for own behavior and avoid the temptation to ‘pass the buck’.
- Delegation skills: This refers to a manager’s capacity to empower colleagues and team members to take responsibility for major decisions and be creative and challenging in offering input.
- Management skills: This refers to a manager’s ability to manage and control people and resources effectively.
- Pressure management skills: This refers to a manager’s ability to keep calm and stay focused when the pressure is on or a crisis occurs.
- Time management ability: This refers to a manager’s capacity to maintain a healthy equilibrium in both work and personal life.
“Readiness Recipes” is a new article series exploring 26 different kinds of managers A-Z and the key ingredients that each needs for success. Stay tuned for more recipes and thanks for reading!