What Personal and Professional Goals Are You Setting for the Year Ahead?
Don’t enter the new year without a clear view of where you would like to see yourself at the end of the year. All individuals can benefit from setting clear and effective goals and objectives, whether formally within the organization or at a personal level. Determining goals is part of the general process of planning for the future. It translates general intent into tangible steps and tasks.
To reach your goals in the New Year, follow our simple and effective tips:
- Plan ahead. Chart your ultimate direction and imagine your possible future.
- Develop your goals and remember that a written goal should be clear to anyone else reading it, whether they are familiar with the subject or not.
- Make sure your targets are just out of reach but not out of sight.
- Know yourself, your competencies and capabilities.
- Assess resources and goal implementation issues.
- Write out your final goals.
- Develop measures for every individual goal that you set out to achieve.
- Draw your targets on charts or graphs that will be used to measure your performance and ask yourself, “What can I do today to get one step closer to achieving my goal(s)?”
- Believe in yourself. If you doubt your self-worth you will find it difficult to achieve goals, and may lack motivation.
- Maintain self-discipline and decide that you will always finish what you start, no matter how small the task. Develop perseverance.